Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Reasons

Why did I become an Instructor?

My reasons are simple:

1) when I started teaching, it was really the only way I could keep my basic firefighting skills fresh. Getting anyone at my (now former) firehouse to do any training was like trying to pull teeth from Plies - likely to get me killed or ass-raped. I'm at a real station now, but I still love teaching.
2) it actually helps me make sure I know my shit. Answering questions, explaining concepts in different ways and with different examples ensures that I truly understand the fundamental material.
3) it's fun to torture people
4) my shirt says, "Instructor" - how sexy is that?
5) my life will literally depend on some of these people at somepoint. What better way to gauge who I should avoid, and to help make sure that they really know what they're doing?
6) it's a great way to help my station and community
7) it is very rewarding on a personal level
8) it gets me out of the house, and my girlfriend knows where I am

No comments: